Saturday, November 8, 2008

Season Finale

Reflecting back on my first post, I regarded effective communication as a useful tool in conveying messages and in expressing one’s feelings in order to prevent any unnecessary embarrassments and conflicts.

My viewpoints were written in such a way that only the conveyer needs to practice the skills of effective communication, but not the receiver. However, after going through 12 weeks of professional communication “training”, it made me realized that it was also important for the receiver to practice these effective communication skills in order for effective communication to take place. I would not say that my understanding of the values of effective communication skills have changed, but rather, I have gained deeper insights of the various effective communication skills and how they play important roles not only in our daily lives but also in the working world. Moreover, these skills will definitely come in handy for undergraduates like us who will soon be stepping into the working world.

With the acquisition of verbal and non-verbal communication skills during this course, I’m glad to say that I have become a better communicator, or at least, I am getting less of the sort of response that was mentioned in my first post. (:

Although the workload for this module had been rather heavy, nonetheless, it was no doubt a great experience taking this module with the ever so nice and approachable Prof Brad, the very encouraging and positive Carolyn and Thomas, my blog posts editor Huiling, the ever so funny Travis, and last but not least, the very wonderful YOU.

Hereby, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for making this module such an enjoyable and memorable one! (:

8 comments:

Sharon said...

The workload may be heavy, but it was good that we could use some class time to do our project.

Are there other modules or classes in NUS which are similarly related to communication?

sea ming said...

Thanks Michelle for this sweet post! I have a feeling that the end of this module is the start of our actual practice (if we still pay attention). Hopefully we are able to apply what we learnt from this module in future project work, interaction with friends and job search.

Sharon, I think there is a module from Social Work that is related to communication. Students are asked to observed each other how they speak. I heard it is very useful as well, but I have forgotten the module code and name.

Danny Wong said...

Hi MIchelle,

I would admit that the workload of this module have been rather heavy. But the good thing is that we are almost done with it. I believe Brad made the class look so interesting that it 'cover up' the demanding nature of the coursework.

Nontheless, the people in Group 3 have been fantastic as well.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Cheers,
Danny.

M. said...

Hey sharon,
I think you can check out the modules offered by communications and new media in the faculty of arts and social sciences. I think they have quite a number of modules related to communication study(:

M. said...

Yup! I agree with you seaming!
I think that is one of the "take homes" from this module (:

M. said...

Hey Danny!
That is quite true! (:
By having great companions and classes that are more interesting makes study a lot less stressful and taxing. (:

Miko said...

Hey michelle, i'm glad that we've all learnt alot from this module! It is so true that the people around you will either make the module interesting or boring, and i agree with you that our classmates have made this journey of learning such a enjoyable and enriching one! See you around in school!

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank YOU, Michelle, for this heart-felt reflection, for all your contributions through the term and for your genuine enthusiasm. I really appreciate your hard work and your input/comments in class and on the blog.

I'm glad, too, that you were able to more deeply understand the way communication is non-linear. That's a giant leap.

All the best in your future endeavors!